What is VoIP? VoIP stands for Voice over Internet Protocol. It is a technology that allows calls to be made over the Internet or an IT network. It is also known as Cloud IP Telephony. VoIP has a lots of advantages over the traditional phone system. There are the benefits of VoIP :
- low cost of operation
- productivity enhancing features
- increased flexibility and mobility
- easy to install, use, and troubleshoot
How does VoIP works? The interesting thing about VoIP is that there is not just one way to place a call. There are three different “flavors” of VoIP service in common use today :
- ATA – The simplest and most common way is through the use of a device called an ATA (analog telephone adaptor). It is an analog-to-digital converter. It takes the analog signal from your traditional phone and converts it into digital data for transmission over the Internet.
- IP phone – These specialized phones look just like normal phones. It connect directly to your router and have all the hardware and software necessary right on board to handle the IP call.
- Computer-to-computer – This is certainly the easiest way to use VoIP. You don’t even have to pay for long-distance calls.